Wednesday 19 March 2014

ADHD Overload!!

Boy Wonder woke up this morning in a very wet bed with a shredded pull up. He went into the shower and stayed there for some time. Cat Girl and I got ready and then I helped Boy Wonder to dry and dress. He seemed a lot higher and more erratic than usual ( which is saying something!)

We arrived at school where Boy Wonder immediately started asking me about his Minecraft red book. I said that I would ask but when I did, it hadn't been saved as they had all been sold. Oh dear! Unsure as to whether Boy Wonder had heard this, I reassured him that I would 'sort the book' and once they both went into class I headed off to search.

I had limited options due to the place that I was travelling to was via the motorway and although I stopped at a service station, this wasn't successful. I rang my Sister who was going into town and she managed to pick it up for me and at a bargain price too! Thank you for saving the day!

I picked them up from after school clubs and although Cat Girl looked like she had, had a good day, Boy Wonder's wasn't so great. I was asked to come to one side for chat and was told that Boy Wonder had been rude and disrespectful to the volunteer teacher in the club. I asked for specifics and was told that he was pulling faces, shouting out and making random noises. I asked for information about how this occurred, I.e what faces were pulled and when and what was he shouting? This request was brushed off and I was simply told that it wasn't fair for the volunteer to have to put up with this and that maybe he doesn't need to come again. I asked how it was managed and was told that he had been told off. I apologised for what she had perceived to have happened and said that I would talk to him, however the information was sketchy and not that helpful.

We went to leave and Boy Wonder had a balloon in his hand which I asked to hold as it was very windy outside. He became very exaggerated and talking in the third person. He wouldn't give up the balloon initially but I explained that he would be upset if it blew away to which he started to make a loud squealing/ shouting crying noise and gave me the balloon. Anticipating him bolting, I held him and we left. He continued with the noise until he got into the car which was past the main road and around the corner. Holding onto him was like a white knuckle ride as he made constant attempts to run. Cat Girl did very well and stayed with us, walking to the car. Once Boy Wonder was safe inside, I praised her for her being such a big girl to which she smiled and said 'its okay.'

Once in the car Boy Wonder started to call himself a bad boy and bang his head with his hands. I gave him an additional tablet for his ADHD which are for 'these times' and channeled him into eating his snack.

We drove to piano and throughout the journey Boy Wonder was loud and shouting out random comments. It was concerning to see how erratic and 'out of control' he actually was. He was doing a very pronounced lisp when he spoke and continued to speak in third person in a babyish tone. The last time I remember him being of a similar presentation was at a holiday in Wales a few years ago. I read his home school diary which read that he had, had a calm and steady day, bizzare !

We arrived at piano where the teacher was met with a challenge and a half. They spent most of the session bashing steel drums as he just couldn't engage him in anything more structured and sit down. This appeared to serve a therapeutic purpose as afterwards Boy Wonder was starting to level off. He got changed for Ju Jitsu and I dropped him off.

We picked up the Minecraft book and Cat Girl played with cousins. We then returned to collect Boy Wonder who had, had a great session! We arrived home and had a chat about the after school club before he could have his Minecraft book.  He explained that he had pulled faces at the teacher when he was being shouted at because he didn't like it. He was upset that the teacher had told him not to come again ( his interpretation ) and that he had made the noises because he was 'bored.' However when asked about the session he did retain a fair bit of it. Boy Wonder was very upset to be told that the teacher thought he was rude but after my explanation understood why. He became quite anxious and wanted to escape the conversation so I praised him for being honest and reassured him that it was now over as he had been told off and this wasn't going to be repeated at home, we just needed to understand.

Boy Wonder went upstairs but was down in ten minutes and armed with his new book asked to settle down with me. He was asleep within ten minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Well done for findong the book, I thought i was going to have to search the book shops here, ha ha xx

    ReplyDelete